News‎ > ‎

Squadron Supports Palatka Fly-In

posted Sep 24, 2017, 10:27 AM by David Froiseth   [ updated Sep 24, 2017, 2:13 PM ]
On 28 Jan 2017 Gainesville squadron members provided support to the 7th Annual Palatka Fly-In.  This was held at the Palatka Municipal Airport, also known as Lieutenant Kay Larkin Field.  The U.S. Navy acquired the airport from the City of Palatka during WWII to support U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps F4U Corsair fighter training.  On August 21, 1942 the airport was officially named “Kay Larkin Field”, for 1st Lieutenant J. K. "Kay" Larkin, a U.S. Army Air Forces instructor pilot and Palatka native killed during WWII.  The primary function of CAP at the fly-in was crowd control, to ensure guests safely walked amongst the aircraft on the flight-line, and when crossing the taxiway.  It was a cold and windy day but guests and participants still had a great time.  Aircraft included the BAC 145 Hunting Percival Jet Provost, P-51 Mustang, DC-3 Skytrain, T-28 Trojan, Stearman Model 75, T-34 Mentor
and numerous other aircraft.   
Comments